Sunday 19 August 2012

Creation

Hello to you all on this sunny day. How heavenly to be basking in this glorious heat! The fact that our wee shop is now full of winter woolies has not dampened my enthusiasm for sunshine. The rain will come again & our customers will come searching for warm clothes. In the meantime let us soak up the glorious rays.

I'm way behind with my blogging. I'm sure you'll all have given up on me by now. But on the off chance that some of my friends still glance my way, I'm posting you photos of my last sculpture to be glazed.




This one's called Creation. My idea was to combine Mother Earth and our spiritual side in the guise of the Angel Gabriel...don't ask, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I spray glazed this one like my heads. And like my heads, I had no idea how it would turn out. I knew that the thicker I applied the glaze, the more likely I would be to get elements of verdigris - rather than just a uniform shit brown. 


As you can see, the green appears where the glaze has pooled. Hooray! Otherwise it would look like an old pot.

I really like the finish that glazing gives and that the pieces are now stone-like and smooth. But the process was still scary and I'm not sure if I'll do it again.

I'm working now on another figurative piece. It's a woman rising up from the waves. I'd been a bit paralyzed - not knowing what to sculpt next and not wanting to start a new one until I'd finally completed the glazed stuff. Then I spoke to Max, my son, who'd been messing about with some air hardening clay. I was so chuffed that he'd chosen my medium to get creative in that it inspired me to get started again.

Ah, but my dear art college friend Ian came to visit last weekend and asked me why I hadn't yet combined my passion for Elvis with my sculpture and produced a bust of the King himself. Why indeed?! So now I'm all excited at the prospect of recreating my hero in 3D. I think I might try to cast it in various mad materials - who knows? The ideas always seem so plausible in my head, and then the translation turns out to be a nightmare. Wish me luck! 

Since I last blogged we've been to France & Scotland. France was hilarious & Scotland was cathartic & amazing. But we're off to London today for a trade show so I'll post this & write again on my return. X

No comments:

Post a Comment