Monday 7 February 2011

this week I will be mostly talking about...country music

I'm writing this on my Apple Macbook...ooh posh! I know. I persuaded my husband to let me buy one because I needed it for my writing and stuff (it's always stuff, isn't it?).


Anyway, he's even worse than me about computers, so although I told him the price twice (quietly), he didn't really have a clue what I was on about.


Now I'm a bit of a spender. It's my profession. No, I mean it, seriously...will you men stop laughing! I am a woman and I have also spent my professional life as a fashion buyer.
Will you stop laughing!!


So, my step son Jack & I go off to the Apple store in Chichester where a very helpful young man (oh my God, I'm getting old. I don't want to be old enough to be calling men in their twenties "young"!) sold us a computer.


It's very shiny and quite heavy and I found a crystal encrusted mouse in Next - I mean it's actually shaped like a mouse with ears n everything - and it all looks very smart.
But I can't use it. Or at least I haven't much since I got it last July. Chris went mad when Jack and I got back and told him how much it cost. I mean snake. Of course I was able ot say with impunity "but I told you how much it was", the way we women do. And I knew it would be alright, he loves me.
So I thought i'd better make it earn it's keep.


so, Country Music:
Don't you just love it? Lyle Lovett. Lyle Lovett is my hero (as well). One of my best girlfriends, Ian, introduced me to Lyle. Thanks Ian. Ian is a boy, but I have given him the status of Girlfriend ot convey just how close a friend he is. He's a girlfriend because he's always there for me, even though he's married now and lives a plane ride away; because he thinks the same way as I do and puts it so much better; because he's an artist and will give me an honest opinion when I ask him "does my bum look big in this?" Great.


Lyle Lovett has one of the sexiest voices I have ever heard. If a man sang to me like Lyle does, he'd get my knickers off. (That's a figure of speech guys.) His voice is melodic and soulful and gravelly; his tunes are heavenly...and his lyrics have me howling with laughter.


"fat babies have no pride" "penguins are so sensitive...to my needs" "I need to impress her cos I want to undress her. Sing a song about Sonya..." "the judge pronounced us 99 to life, that's no lady that's my wife"


He was married to Julia Roberts for a wee while and I seem to remember him having a cameo in a Robert Altman film. He's nae braw, as we'd say in Scotland, but he sure can make sweet music.
Of course I'm biased because I love cowboys. My first love was Stuart Grainger in The High Chapperal (sic).
Here's another line from Lyle: "God will but I won't, God does but I don't. That's the difference between God and me". He's singing it to a cheatin lover. Cool.


I'm concerned that my blogs are too long. Is that like worrying that your underskirt is too long? Does anyone wear underskirts any more? Weren't they bloody awful.


So I'm going to sign off and come back in a minute.
x



1 comment:

  1. A nice bit of writing.

    I don't think there are any rules about how long blog
    posts should be. But in my opinion they work best when they only have one idea. So in this case, I think you should have done one about the computer, and one about country music.

    But I don't doubt that others would disagree.

    ReplyDelete