Monday 27 June 2011

A Cowgirl's Life


Thursday 23rd June 2011
It’s Thursday and we’ve been on the ranch for 5 days. I’d like to tell you that I’ve been in the saddle all week but the reality is that I’m sitting here, eating jelly beans, in my shorts having only been on a horse twice.
I don’t care. While the rest of the guests are branding & gelding calves, I’m gazing at the snow capped mountains and lapping up tales of Cowgirl Heroines of yore from a little book called: “Cowgirl Smarts - How To Rope A Kick-Ass Life” by Ellen Reid Smith.
I haven’t bottled out (although de-bollocking calves isn’t my first choice for fun). I’m just having one of those monthly days when standing upright seems like too much effort. So instead I thought I’d sit down and share Montana with you.
The view from the veranda of the ranch house where we’re billeted is breathtaking. In the distance, past sweeping, empty pastures and rugged stratus hills, lie the Beartooth Mountains. Part of The Rockies, this string of pointed peaks stretch North and South as far as the eye can see.
Last night a spectacular thunderstorm lit the sky. From beyond the Beartooths huge dense black clouds roiled, as if stirred from above by angry Gods. Sheet lightening shimmered from cloud to cloud while thunder boomed & forks of silver blue struck the earth all around us. There is good reason why Montana is known as Big Sky Country. I have never before witnessed such a dramatic son et lumiere show.    
The evocative sound of trains in the distance & the sporadic bark of the ranch dogs are all that disturb my peace. Scattered herds of cattle and horses dot the endless landscape - not a human soul in sight. Ah, how different to good old Blighty.
I was reunited with my old friend Diamond on my second day here. When sent into the pen to halter him, he stood quietly and waited for me. I had forgotten over the months back home just how magical contact with these beautiful beasts can be. As I held his gentle head and slipped the rope around his neck, I remembered why (at the age of 45) I had fallen in love with the Wild West. 
On our first ride out we traversed some fairly vertical terrain. This isn’t as scary as it sounds if you understand that it’s the horse that does all the work. Remembering what Skylar taught us - 30% of your weight in each stirrup and 40% in the saddle; be relaxed but aware at all times; give the horse lots of rein; maintain a balanced centre of gravity - all helped me to ride out with confidence.
Thankfully I also remembered that steady Diamond likes to take a run at creeks, steep slopes (up or down) and anything remotely tricky. So while galloping up a rocky incline was a little disconcerting, I didn’t end up with my butt in muddy water!
The little book of Cowgirl Smarts that I found in our room has given me plenty to think about as I soak up all things Western. How about:
“Saddle your own horse’ - in other words - do it for yourself! There’s no point complaining when you fall off that someone didn’t tighten your cinch properly, it’s too late!
“Ride high but stay grounded” - no I don’t mean have long legs or a short horse. This means ride with confidence & optimism, but there’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance.
“Ride beside your man” - whether he’s the breadwinner or you are, it’s better to be a partnership than to be out in front or trailing behind.
Ride em cowgirl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment