Thursday 10 February 2011

The Marriage Bed

In the dark
I can be
whoever
You want me 
to be.


I want you
to be You.
it's you I see
smiling at me
In the dark.


I wrote this wee poem in my head one night, prompted by something my gorgeous hubby said. I liked the way I could move the words around on the page in order to alter the meaning and visually I like the way the 2 sections create the feel of a couple talking in bed before sleep. It's such a beautifully safe and intimate place, the marriage bed. At least my ideal is. 
I love the image the words conjure up for me.
It reminds me of an Isabelle Allende book. I love her books. She's a South Amreican author who wrote House of the Spirits. Like her fellow countryman Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Allende's  stories are thick with layers of imagery, emotion and haunting, ethereal happenings - fab! One of her characters has a huge, ornate wooden marriage bed carved which she takes with her on her voyage to San Francisco. The bed becomes a character in itself, witnessing conception & birth, death & loss - life and love in all its intimate detail.
Inspired by this story to seek out our own marriage bed, I was blessed one day to see a carved walnut head board outside one of our local antique dealers. It turned out ot be a beautiful Napoleonic carved bed. Having dragged Chris along to the shop and made him lie down on the shop floor while I enclosed him in bits of bed, we then decided that it would be the perfect marriage bed and duly carried it across our town square in pieces to reconstruct in our bedroom. 
So this is the context for my little poem. I hope you like it. I love my marriage bed and I love my husband. Kind of the point of poetry isn't it - to be inspired by something or someone enough to want ot express it in this way.
x
  

No comments:

Post a Comment