Tuesday 8 February 2011

"Where there's a will there's a won't." law of inertia

That was the one for the scientists. It's bit lame but I'm sure they'll appreciate its topicality. I think scientists get a bad rap - you know, as nerds and dweebs adn boring. But I have been stunned into silence, moved to tears and hurt my sides laughing at some of the things these guys have come up with.


Have you seen "What the Bleep do we Know?"
My sister gave me this film as a wedding present along with a copy of Kalil Ghibran's The Prophet. It is a blinding film and will introduce you to the beauty and possibilities of Quantum Physics. The scientists interviewed were a right hoot! Now I've seen Buddha and I've seen the Dalai Lama and they all have the same look on their faces - sheer bliss. They're pissing themselves most of the time, can barely keep a straight face.


Do you know why the Buddha laughs? Because he knows what it's all about. And so do these Quantum Physicists & Neuroscientists & Endocrinologists. Or at least they're beginning to. And you know what, they seem to be saying much the same as old Buddha there, or Krishna, or Christ.


I do love a good drama, and you don't get better than unravelling the mysteries of life.


Since I'm waffling and this is a scientific spew (writing - I have a drawer in my office labeled "miscellaneous spewing" filled with screeds of paper - figured I might as well spew where people can hear me) let me tell you the story of a worm:


Now about 17 years ago, as a young mother & fashion buyer, I watched an elderly female Biologist describe the life cycle of said worm with such joy and in such simple terms. Not only are the facts delicious in their completeness but the woman was so enthralled by her subject that it was quite mesmerising. So here goes with my hastily scribbled note, and I quote:


" worm - lives under tongue of frog - lays millions of fertilised eggs - the eggs pass thru the frog's body and into the water where they develop long hair-like protrusions (worms) and swim about. 
Meets a water snail & with its "beak" imbeds itself in the snail - eats the snail's liver & releases millions of tiny worms back into the water.
The tiny worm sinks to the bottom of the pond & retracts into its own tail, then produces fern like protrusions that wave about to attract the attention of a cyclops (water flea).
When the flea tries to eat the worm it shoots itself out of its tail at high speed into the intestine and then body cavity of the flea where it lives quietly..."


(Too effing right it needs a rest - it must be bloody knackered!)  


"...The flea is then eaten by a Dragonfly larva and the worm transfers itself to the larva. The larva grows into a Dragonfly and the Dragonfly is eaten by a frog. The worm then crawls back up the gut of the frog until it reaches the tongue and starts again."


I found that in my old Filofax, I used to bore everyone I met with that...and now I can bore you!
Still, it is beautiful - I mean a beautiful example of the way life works - perfectly.


Ah, that sounds like the end of a children's bedtime story so on that note I will say goodnight.
x













No comments:

Post a Comment