Monday 7 February 2011

"People don't see the world as it is, but as they are."

Isn't that great? I got it off a calendar that one of my suppliers sent me for Christmas. hey that doesn't sound too good does it?! Sounds like a line from Trainspotting. I mean one of my homewares wholesale suppliers.


Want ot hear another one? (i have a backlog - I was in Edinburgh last week visiting my family)
"It's important that people know what you stand for. It's equally important that they know what you won't stand for." Mary Waldrop.


I'm keeping the next one for all you scientists out there.


It's true though, we need to understand both sides of that great quote. You see that's why we humans try different things all the time. It's why kids (of whatever age) never listen to their parents when they tell them to "do as I say, not as I do".
What I've learnt is that we have to experience both sides of an option in order to make an informed choice. We need to try it out for ourselves in order to make a choice.
Where we try it out is another issue.


Did you know that the human brain is the most complex structure in this known universe? yeah, well, put that in your pipe and smoke it.


Did you know also that the human brain doesn't differentiate between what the eyes see adn what the brain imagines?
Wild isn't it?
That's why athletes do the whole visualising the win thing. Because it works. Scientists have proved that the same muscles in the body are activated when an athlete visualises a race as when he actually runs it.
As a mother it's a bit scary though. I have 3 sons and I know the stuff they watch. Ah but that's where the whole experiencing thing comes in.
the difference between ordinary people and mass murderers and Nobel Prize winners is that we thought it and they did it.
Choice.
It's all about choice.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment